Wednesday, January 6, 2016

new somewhere

-->
1/5/16 5:11 PMtu         Picking up on a couple days ago's entry, I am finding it very welcoming here at Koinonia Farms as a visitor/newcomer, whatever capacity of being here for the first time.  The community is built around being there for anyone interested, for whatever reasons.  In living a life of radical (not fundamentalist) Christian community AND as a "demonstration plot" of the Kingdom of God, for anyone to see.  A form of witnessing how we can live together, by doing the walk with one's whole life, and not just talk.  Exploring the possibility and reality of what that can be.  They are ready for me, and they are welcoming me.  And they have a warm place for me, however I come.  This is what I am about in my life right now, searching for a community that I might resonate with strongly enough to join and live that communitarian life, to see for my self, and to offer to my fellow human beings what that might be like. 
         I am not Christian in accord with most every Christian's definition of Christian.  (I do not believe in divine intervention or impregnation, and I do not believe there is only one way.*)  And I do not wish to focus solely on the Bible or Jesus for my spiritual guidance.  So I am not material for a lifelong committed membership in Koinonia Farm or any other Christian community.  But to me that is a small difference.  I believe in many if not most radical Christian values, and find the Koinonia community very attractive for it's radical obstinate passion for non-violence, diversity, fellowship, worship, work, and service.  And when I come here for a 2-week visit, I am warmly, simply, plainly, matter-of-factly welcome to immediately work hard every day, worship, retreat or relax, as I wish.  They have plenty ready for me to do in any and each of these regards.  That is their intention.  It is easy to find.  It costs very little in suggested donation.  And it does not pay except in a place to stay, food to eat, and fellowship in service.  It does pay wages to a few local persons who have certain skills (and unskills) that they do not have enough of in the community.  And it is happy to do that as a small part of its continued focus on local service.
         This kind of welcome, to be in & with the community, I do not find at The Farm, so live, direct, warm, and intentional.  The Farm is not built for, nor revolve around, people interested in living in community.  It once was; their mission was grander and more many-fingered, thrived, grew to ten times its original size; went in debt, changed over in order to survive, throwing out many babies with the bathwater; and have been successful in continuance in this new form; meanwhile deflated back to it's original size, and those who remain are focused more on their past and (perhaps holding on to) what they were (including what human community of that may be left).  The Farm, as I experience it, is old-self focused, and has not planned and is not planning for a renewed identity (as community or spirituality), progress, or future.  In this paragraph I am looking into my self and my own experience and quandry.  It is not God's truth, and it is not what The Farm has told me in its words.  It is just where I am right now, in my own looking toward membership, in a community that I otherwise resonate with very strongly.
          Next I intend to be about writing in community.  Off to work in thuh mornin.
_________________
* … the bumper sticker on a Michigan car, finally sharing my mansion here on this coldest night, reads "God is too BIG to fit into one religion."  Hmmm … what did i just write last nite in those parentheses?  … anybody else out there having conversations with cars?

No comments:

Post a Comment